Our News Post on 20th March outlined arrangements relating to the production of a club calendar for 2021. Because of the ongoing Coronavirus situation this will no longer be pursued. Consequently, artwork being prepared for this need not now be submitted.
The ongoing corona virus crisis has resulted in the cancellation of the Clubs Annual Exhibition in June.
The Winter Exhibition in November is still scheduled to go ahead.
Our members are not idle during the lock down and will be producing representations of ‘FIFE’ for inclusion in our 2021 calendar.
Our Kingsgate gallery will open as usual once the government deems it safe and prudent.
This problem is likely to get worse before it gets better. We have to accept that the membership of our Art Club, because we tend to be older, is one of the groups that could be at risk from the virus. We believe that Club members have the responsibility to look after themselves and give due consideration to other members of the Club. Some of you may have underlying health problems that may make you extra vulnerable and we expect that you will make your own decisions about your own risks in attending the Club.
In order to help protect ourselves from infection, which may or may not happen, we should now be much more vigilant with our hygiene procedures. We are aware that health advice may change as the situation develops.
By following the advice given, i.e. regular hand washing, the use of tissues etc., we can help to protect ourselves.
If you have any cold or flu like symptoms please wait until you feel better before you come to the Club
Wash your hands on entering the Studio and on leaving and keep washing your hands with either soap and water or an alcohol based cleanser
Other things that we can do which should help:
Bring your own reusable cup or mug and other utensils when you come to the Club and take it/them home to wash
Avoid coughing or sneezing around people, us a hanky or tissue
Give your table a wipe down before you start, as well as when you finish!
At the Club we will have reminder signs up, paper towels and a good supply of soap and anything else we can think of to keep ourselves safe. (Ideas from members welcome!)
We ask anyone who is concerned that they may have encountered the virus to follow the Government advice, and self-isolate in the first instance.
The club intends to go ahead with production of a 2021 Dunfermline Art Club Calendar. It is intended that this will again be produced in-house and printed commercially. The outlay on printing expenses will be reimbursed to the Club from the proceeds of Calendar sales. The theme for the 2021 Calendar is “Fife”. So, if you would like to create a painting in any medium on this theme for possible inclusion in the calendar, please submit your work or a good quality digital photo of it by 17th June latest to Tony Felton at the club.
The painting should be A4 in size (or equivalent proportions ), unframed (to avoid photographic glare/reflection from glass), and in landscape format. A selection process ,which will be by members votes will decide which pictures will feature in the 2021 calendar. Please see Tony if you need further information.
- Acceptance of such items is conditional on the club member having at least one framed painting for sale during the hanging period.
- Items accepted for sale will be displayed / available for sale in the Gallery for a specific time period which will correspond to the Paintings Hanging Period. Generally 6 weeks.
- “Craft” items must be hand crafted by the exhibiting member, not commercially manufactured.
- A maximum 10 items in any category may be submitted in any Hanging Period. The fee payable will be £1 for each item and a commission of 20% will be taken on each sale.
- Unsold browser and craft items in any hanging period may be retained in the Gallery and offered for sale in the subsequent hanging period upon payment of the appropriate fee (£1 per item).
- These arrangements and costs will also apply when submitting craft and browser material to be exhibited at the Clubs Annual and Winter Exhibitions where acceptance is conditional on the member having at least one painting on display and for sale.
- Additionally, a commission of 10% will be taken on the sale of cards at the Annual and Winter Exhibitions.
Dunfermline Art Club Gallery in the Kingsgate Shopping Centre, will soon be accepting submissions from members for the next Gallery hanging period which will run from 16th January through 29th February. New exhibits will be accepted during normal Gallery opening hours (12-4 pm on Thursday 9th, Friday 10th and Saturday 11th January). Paintings will be hung on Tuesday 14th in advance of the Gallery re-opening on 16th. A maximum five pictures may be submitted. A new hanging fee of £2.50 per picture will apply, and, where four pictures are paid for, the fifth will be hung for free . A commission of 25% will be taken on painting sales.
Original artworks only (which comply with the clubs framing standards) can be accepted for hanging, not prints. However, prints, as well as original unframed pictures, may be submitted for display in the browsers.
Members also should note that the same paintings may not be exhibited in the Gallery on consecutive hanging periods. Unsold items from the previous hanging period should be collected from the Gallery at the earliest convenient opportunity.